Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cabin Fever

We woke up to this view on Tuesday morning:






Ice.

Nothing like a good old-fashioned ice storm to make you wanna bundle up and stay home. Plus it's kind-of pretty. Until it knocks out your phone line and internet. For four days.

What is with us having the worst possible weather when we move to a new place? Everyone tells us this weather is SOOO unusual for Kentucky. People raved about the mild winters. Whatever people. We don't believe you! People told us the same garbage when we moved to Philadelphia. And then we saw the Delaware River freeze over right outside the window of our riverside condo.

There's a thin coat of ice out on the lake today. Somebody was joyriding in their boat to crack it all up. It sounded so crazy. When the waves hit the shore, bits of ice would pop up from the edges and go skittering across the thin ice surface. I definitely did not want to go swimming today.

It was never as bad again as that first Philadelphia winter. Maybe Mother Nature is just giving us the worst punch right at first, just to make sure we are tough enough. All I gotta say is, I hope it doesn't get any worse! Brrrrrrr.

All this cold is forcing us to stay inside alot. Bennett's preschool keeps getting cancelled from ice and cold and seriously pathetic amounts of snow (coming from a Utah girl). I've got cabin fever, baby!!! Those 4 days without the internet were pretty lonely. Internet, I missed you. I'm so glad you are back.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

its a good thon gonternet and phne lines are back up... i would be SOOO tired of that by the fourth day!

Michelle Burk said...

Ice storms are so pretty. I'm glad you got some pictures. But the cold---it's cold everywhere. Idaho is freezing too. I am so chilled each night, it takes a good hot bath to raise my body temperature enough to sleep. Try it, and add a good mug of hot chocolate. It might make you feel better.

Linn said...

Either the bad weather follows you and I or these people are messing with us. "This is the worst winter in eight years," they tell me. I sure better hear "This is least snow we've had since Paul Revere took his little jaunt on a horse," next year or I'm outta here. So sorry about your power. Come live with us. Or at least visit. Fifteen hours is just a quick car ride. We have power and heat. And an excavator. At least today.

Emily and Austin Gray said...

Glad you guys are ok, we've been seeing all the stuff about power outages and people in shelters on the news!

Mindy said...

It was so nice to talk to you today. I miss you!

Amy said...

Glad you are back on-line. No internet for four days? Sounds kind of like pioneer days to me!