Friday, January 23, 2009

Help Wanted. No Freaks and Weirdos, Please.

So, Keith has had a couple of staffing "issues" since he started his job in August. He hired a nurse not too long after he started and had to fire her a couple weeks ago. She just wasn't a hard worker. Or, for that matter, a worker at all. And, get this, she was grossed out by feet. HELLO?? You would think maybe she wouldn't apply to be be a nurse for a foot and ankle doctor if she couldn't stand feet?!? Anyways, she was bad. And so she got canned.

Then along came...we'll call her Helga--you know, to protect the...not so innocent. Okay, her name was Jennifer. So Jennifer started working for Keith on the first work day of the year. Yes, that was only three weeks ago. She had a great work history and seemed very professional and she interviewed very well. Finally, someone he could work with! Hired! She spent her first two weeks training with the other nurses at the main office. Then last Wednesday, she started working with Keith. Day one-fine. No big problems. Obviously new on the job but clearly trying, which was far better than his last nurse. Day two, pretty good. Day three...this is where is starts to get weird.

Keith gets a text from Jennifer on Friday morning saying that her daughter was puking and sick. Ok, he says, just come in when you can.

Next text from Jennifer: I'll be about 30 minutes late.

Keith responds: That's ok. You know, if you can't make it that's really ok. But I'll need you to bring my charts and supplies. (She had taken them home the night before because they were going to another location on Friday. I think he was being too nice. It was her THIRD day of work with him! She shoulda gotten her can into the office! But that's beside the point.)

Jennifer texts back: OK

After waiting for an hour or so, Jennifer's husband or someone brings Keith's charts into the office and drops them off to the receptionist and leaves without a word.

Keith texts Jennifer: I have the charts. I assume this means you're not coming in today?

No response.

Keith texts twice more: Are you coming today? I still need my supplies.

No response.

Keith comes home Friday night after working until 8 pm since he didn't have a nurse all day. He was so annoyed. He was really going to tell her off on Monday morning. Why can't people just do their jobs???

The next day (Saturday), Keith was on a hike. The phone rang. The caller ID said Jennifer. Huh?? I picked it up and had an awkward conversation with Jennifer's aunt. Jennifer wasn't going to be coming back to work and she knew Jennifer would want Keith to have his supplies. It was complicated, she said. And very awkward.

So, Keith calls Jennifer's phone back that evening and gets the aunt and the same weird non-specific details. It's complicated...family problem...not coming back to work...she would want you to have your supplies. Then he made arrangements for the aunt to drop them off at his office.

We were both scratching our heads. I've worked in Human Resources for 10 years and I've seen a LOT of weird stuff. And this was pretty weird. She seemed great. Very professional. On the quiet side, but....WHAT HAPPENED??

As I was putting the kids in the bath that night, Keith looked at the front page of the local paper. Headline: 39 People Arrested Friday Morning in Drug Raid. A couple paragraphs down: Jennifer.

Well, no wonder she couldn't come to work on Friday. She's in the SLAMMER! Of course! Makes perfect sense. Apparently she had been stealing narcotic prescriptions from her prior employer and selling them (and using them?) on the side. Classy folks. That's all I'm sayin.

So, um...that was weird...anybody know of a good nurse?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! I read your story to Tom and we were shocked. Poor Keith, sure hope he finds a nurse soon.

Di and Tom

Anonymous said...

Bummer for Keith. What a weird story! You almost can't put anything past anyone these days, which is sad. Good luck with #3.

Lindsay said...

No way!!! Poor Keith; all he wants is some help!

Poor Jennifer. Life is tough behind bars.

Good luck finding another nurse.

Kate Edmondson said...

Wow, this is one of those moments where real life is better than fiction....

Linn said...

Now that is just craziness! Do Jacob and I get in trouble for laughing, after the shock wore off? That is just wild!

Steph said...

AHHH!! No way. That is seriously crazy. Serves you right for living in Kentucky. We are all normal, but jobless up here in Michigan...

molly said...

holy cow! your title to this entry is spot on! if i were a nurse and lived in kentucky, i'd come work for keith, but he'd probably end up firing me too - because its just not normal to go to your boss's house everyday and play with his kids and hang out with his wife. might be come conflict of interest there??

Meeker home said...

What do you expect living in Kentucky?? Actually the whole thing is pretty funny. I hope things work out for Keith soon. Third time's a charm!

Michelle Burk said...

Unbelievable. I read it to Roman and he just sat here speechless--Wow, that's the only word we can think of.

Anonymous said...

ugh..helllooooo. me me me can i be a nurse practitioner though?? ha. wish i could!! xoxo

yamsey said...

I am not a big advocate of husbands and wives working together- it is possible to have too much of a good thing!- but maybe you should go into nursing so Keith will at least have some reliable help.

Adri said...

CRAZY!

Amanda said...

Wow! That's totally crazy! Hopefully Keith will have better luck the next time around hiring? Good luck!

Anonymous said...

WOWWW! that is kinda freaky!!!! good luck finding a new nurse......

Angie said...

My podiatrist seems to favor Mennonites- he has had the same two for several years so apparently they are to be recommended.