Thursday, January 08, 2009

The blues

Taking down all the Christmas decorations really bums me out. This happens every year. Suddenly my house feels so empty. My banister looks terribly bare and my walls seem so boring. I'm having little white light withdrawals. Is there some way that I could incorporate white lights into my every day decor? Maybe wrap them around the fridge or something? That's classy, right?

11 comments:

Meeker home said...

I feel the same way. That's why I haven't taken mine down yet. (It has NOTHING to do with me being lazy...)

Kate Edmondson said...

When I was a grad student, and before I was married, we used white Christmas lights as decorations in our living room. It rocked. It was like the total party pad. However, I am sure that is not the effect you are going for :-)

Shannon said...

Do it!

Sara said...

totally classy, go for it!

Emily and Austin Gray said...

This year we had one big, final Christmas wah-hah on January 6th where we read the books again and talked about the Wise Men (Three Kings Day, 12th Day of Christmas = Jan. 6th) and took the tree down together. Then I splurged on a beautiful, fresh spring flower arrangement to reward myself for all my hard work and make the house look not so bare. It was fun. This might become a new tradition!

Tom and Tara Lyman said...

so, i have a confession: I only sent you our fam picture and not our holiday letter because i stole the format from your christmas letter and I didn't want you to think I was copying your christmas letter. I know this sounds so stupid and you're going, "what is this crazy girl saying", but it's true. I could not for the life of me think of how to start or end my holiday letter and then I got yours in the mail and so I stole your beginning and ending. Okay, so I'm lame, but it ended up being a pretty good letter, just too bad I can't think of it on my own. So there ya go, I've confessed at least I feel better. Oh, and I hope you are laughing not seriously rethinking our friendship!

Andrea said...

Umm, wow. That's quite a confession Tara. I always thought you guys would be lost without us. This confirms my suspicions....

Amanda said...

I'm with ya, taking Christmas stuff down bums me out too, why is January so depressing?

Try the white lights, maybe you'll start a new trend! :)

Anonymous said...

go for it!!!!

Martha said...

Totally! My mom leaves the Christmas lights up until March!! She says it makes the winter not so gloomy. I'm sure she's right. Maybe you should put some flowers or other "everyday" trimmings in their spot! Just a thought. But I'd avoid the "wrapping the fridge" idea. Although, what a great weight loss program. lol. :)

yamsey said...

My mom keeps Christmas up fro Thanksgiving to Valentines Day. So I think it is ok if you want to keep your decorations up a little longer. I am!