Friday, January 16, 2009

Let's Lucy

What would I do without the gym??? Especially on a day like today. It's FREEZING cold outside and Keith is working late. Oh, the gym. I love you, gym. Take my kids while I go sweat and bond with my ipod.

Keith bought me a membership for Christmas. Don't worry, it wasn't a hey-fat-lard-you-need-to-go-to-the-gym kind of present. At least, I don't think it was.... Anyways, gosh, I love the gym. I love a little ME time. I love getting a shower in peace. I did yoga today.

Lucy at the gym
She's there every time I go
And I don't go that often, so she must live at the gym
I stare at her ribs, they show through the spandex
Her little legs are working, she's going somewhere
She's climbing up the stairs
And when she reaches the top her dreams will be there

Lucy at the gym
Lucy on the scale for the third time
Through thick and thin Lucy's at the gym
She's staring at the clock and like the second hand
she never stops
She's Lucy at the gym
(a great song by Jill Sobule)

I love checking out the Lucy's too. There is one lady there that cracks me up. She's on the older side. Grandma for sure. She has her hair totally done and wears red lipstick on the treadmill. And while she speed walks, she smiles like she's in a parade. I was in a class this week and she was there. She's got moves. All kinds of extra moves. Gotta burn those 10 extra calories. Lucy for sure.

Then there is this guy. I think he's been there every single time I go. He does the stair stepper. He's on the same machine every time. He doesn't listen to anything. He's not even looking at the TV. He's in this crazy zone and he's hauling on those stairs. I've never seen him leave the machine. Once I decided to do some stairs myself and I noticed as I got closer that there was a huge puddle on the ground around his machine. Sweat. Dripping. Nasty. Sweat. EWWW. Lucy for sure. Although, I'm calling him Larry.

There's another Lucy. She's kinda 80's looking. I think she probably roller skates on the side with a boombox nearby. She just has that look. I actually think I saw her skating on the sidewalk in California once. She does the elliptical. She's crazy on the elliptical. She's so fast. I'm scared of her.


When she takes a shower, after all the hours
Does she have a place to go?
Is there someone waiting
Or is Lucy all alone

Lucy at the gym
Keep going Lucy
Keep on working girl....


Do you know a Lucy???

8 comments:

Danica said...

you are hilarious...love it.

Martha said...

I just got a YMCA membership! Yay! Love it!! Paige and I go almost everyday and do different classes. Oh, do I love it. :) I'll have to keep an eye out for those Lucys!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, here in Denver there are many Lucy's and Larry's.
I love your stories and your children are precious.
Di

Anonymous said...

maybe I might be a lucy...hahaha That's so fun that you get to go. the kid area at our gym is always packed and I imagine it to be like going to the spa when you have kids huh!? what could be better! someday I'll understand :) luv ya..hey wanna come up and do the broad street run with me this year???

Linn said...

You are seriously too funny! And your comment on my blog made me a tad sick to my stomach. I will think of what you guys did for two weeks whenever I am sick of our situation. You are fabulous!

Angie said...

Soooo jealous- Johnny will have nothing to do with the child care at my gym but I'm with you, it's one of my favorite things.

Mindy said...

Andrea, you always always make me laugh. That's awesome that you are going to the gym! I am almost a Lucy...just change the "uc" in the name to "az". Naw, it's not that bad, I just talk myself out of it too often. You inspire me! Keep it up...
Miss you guys so much.
(p.s. our Christmas parties were mostly with family (on both sides), plus my Bunco group, my singing group, family and friends for Julia's baptism, and friends from Kaysville. It was hectic but SO much fun.)

Amy said...

LOL! I actually started exercising again last week- no Lucy here!