Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yup. He's a country boy.

I was just in Lexington picking up Keith's bike from the shop. We finally fixed it from the beat down it took in Iceland. Because it was so hammered, I had to go a "real" bike shop that could fix his bent frame. I ended up taking it to a shop in downtown Lexington, an hour away. The shop is right in the middle of town in the college neighborhood. Kinda hip and cute with older buildings and corner cafes.

Just as I was getting ready to leave the bike shop with Keith's good-as-new bike, I couldn't find Bennett. He had been riding one of the kids bikes around the store and he was supposed to be putting it back. But suddenly he was nowhere to be found. The bike guy was helping me take the bike out to the car as I pushed Leah in the stroller. Bike guy and I both looked around and I called his name. Suddenly, Bennett caught my eye. He was outside on the sidewalk. Pulling up his pants. With a big wet streak running down the cement. My face turned completely red. The bike guy was standing next to me and saw the same thing I did. Bennett had just peed all over his sidewalk only two steps out the front door.

ME: "Ha ha....I'm so sorry....I can't believe he just did that.....Oh my goodness....I'm so sorry.....we live kinda out in the country, ya know.....and I'm so sorry....I guess the world is his toilet.......ha ha....I'm so sorry....."

BIKE GUY: "Oh! Wow. Well. I guess his dad taught him that!"

My face grows redder and redder as Bennett continues pulling up his pants. Bennett, on the other hand, is cool as a cucumber. It's just another potty break for him.

The bike guy continues to my truck and puts the bike in the back for me. What do you say after that? I just wanted to crawl into a hole. Good thing the bike shop is an hour away. I don't really want to go back for a while. At least until they forget my beet red face.

As I was locking the bike up in the truck bed, a car pulls into the parking spot behind me. A lady jumps out of the car and I grab Bennett's hand to help him into his car seat.

"Hey, I saw your son relieving himself in front of the store. He really slowed traffic down for a minute there!"

"Oh great....{red face returns}....haha....You saw that too?....{more nervous/embarrassed laughter}......"

Thanks for that. I'll be leaving now. Who needs the city anyway?

A potty? Why bother when you have a forest?

Welcome to our toilet. Manners optional.

12 comments:

Steph said...

Thomas would love it there. He does that all the time too.

Jill said...

Me again! Sorry for leaving so many comments. I was trying to edit the previous comment and accidentally created a new one. Still new to this whole blog thing.

Angie said...

hilarious- Tommy is very jealous

Amy said...

I LOVE IT! That just cracks me right up!

Honestly, could you live anywhere more beautiful!

Michelle Burk said...

Loved it. I'm so glad the Cards are catching up with the Burks with boy stories. I have 21+ peeing stories. Parenthood=humility. That's how it is. Pee on Bennett!!

Adri said...

Thanks for the laugh! :)

Shannon said...

AWESOME.

Unknown said...

i almost fell out of my chair laughing.

yamsey said...

Andrea, this cracked me up! i can so see my kids doing the same thing! You gotta love the whole bodily fluid thing. Sam was laughing about something the other day and ended up drooling all over himself. He said, "I laughed so hard my drool came out!" John and I didn't stop laughing for an hour or so.

The Busby Family said...

That is so awesome! I love it. Soon we might be in China and I'm sure Lincoln will learn you can pee anywhere. Just kidding, sort of.

Linn said...

That boy is hilarious! Too funny!

molly said...

hahaha. i heart bennett!