Wednesday, April 09, 2008

South paw-thetic

The other day we had what might possibly be one of our last bonfires on the dirty beach of the Delaware River. It seems that every other month or so, we've always had a huge pile of wood scraps with no where to go. Some in the shape of a rocker gone bad or a spoon that was never finished or a table leg that never got a table. Several years ago we discovered how totally wasted and forgotten the banks of the river are behind the airport and we have a favorite spot we like to go to burn our wood pile. We always splurge on the best hot dogs (Nathan's) and have dogs, marshmallows and whatever else we can find cooked over cherry, walnut, maple or some other exotic hardwood. It's especially great after the sun goes down. You can no longer see the piles of trash washed ashore beneath your feet or the oil stained tree branches littering the beach. Plus you can see the glow of the city and the lights of the oil refinery across the river actually look pretty. It's great!!!

So on Saturday night we burned our last wood pile. The accidental artist is officially gone. Not even a trace of it remains in our house. No one would ever know that our basement and garage have once been production "studios".

Of course, Bennett loves going to the beach because his favorite activity is throwing rocks in the water. He could literally do it for hours. So the other night, we were all doing our typical "hanging out" at the beach. We had a roaring fire and I sat nearby with the baby while Keith and Bennett searched the beach for balls and a bat (we always say there is 2 of anything that floats laying around there). Then they play a game of baseball, hitting balls into the water until they stop coming back to shore, followed by a rock throwing fest until it's time to eat.

The other night as I sat by the fire, I noticed something very odd about Keith. He was throwing rocks and nearly falling over every time. He looked so messed up and I couldn't figure out why. I kept thinking, 'what is wrong with him? Has he always thrown this bad?' Keith has never been one for any sport involving a ball but this...this was really bad. Just all wrong.

Then I realized he was throwing left-handed. First of all, phew! I thought he just really sucked! And B, this is hilarious! Next time you are out with a ball or just a bunch or rocks by the water, you've got to try this. Then stand back and watch how funny people look when they are trying. Good times, folks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey-I just got my new phone back and got your message. wish we could have gone with you and laughed at Keith together..
Ritas??? It's open!! I'm off Thurs/Fri give me a ring!
luv T

Martha said...

We'll still have to get together sometime! ... sometime! :) When do you guys take off? Hopefully we can get together before then.
Take care,
Martha