Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Mormons in Philly

A temple in Philly! I was really surprised and so happy to hear this awesome news. (For my peeps that don't know what I'm talking about, go here or here.) Very exciting. I only wish this had been announced about 8 YEARS ago so that Keith and I could have been a part of the whole thing. Man, I gave my heart and soul to that city for 8 years and they build a temple as soon as we leave! Keith's comment when he heard the announcement: "Well, when we left, the holiness quotient went way up. Now it's good enough for a temple." Haha. Anyways, such good news. A temple will be an awesome addition to the city. Plus, my sources (third hand info) say that it's going to be right smack in downtown. Sweet. Downtown Philly could use something clean. :)

Here's a cute conference quote from Bennett. While Keith was getting ready to go to the church for the priesthood session on Saturday night, he was asking where daddy was going. I told him he was going to listen to the prophet speak. He responded, "Is daddy going to follow the prophet? Oh, so he won't go astray?" He spent the rest of the night singing: "Follow the prophet, follow the prophet, follow the prophet, don't go astray...." (the words to a kids song at church)

I gotta say, as much as we love our new surroundings, I do miss our awesome church family in Philly. I felt kinda lonely at the women's broadcast since I'm still meeting the new people in our ward here. Here's a shout out to my Philly sisters!!!

10 comments:

Linn said...

You are so stinkin' funny! And what Bennett said? I'm still laughing about it. You guys are awesome!

Meeker home said...

Amen and amen. I cried and cried when I heard the news. What do you think about our group heading back for the dedication?! I totally want to go.

Jami said...

Bennett is so cute! That is awesome about the temple in Philly. How close is the closest temple to you guys now? Miss you guys!

Martha said...

I'm am thrilled about the Temple and hope we'll still be here to enjoy the blessings of having a temple so close! Btw, James found the location on the church's website, and you're right... it'll be at Broad and Spring Garden (something like that). I'm sure you can find it online. It's on a mass transit line, perfect for our wonderful inner city members!

Andrea, we miss you and Keith so much! (and Bennett and Leah too!). Someone mentioned your name the other day and I sighed a "boy I sure do miss them" sigh! Thanksgiving just won't be the same without you guys!! :) Love you!

Terra said...

We miss you too! Our presidency just couldn't hack it without you, so they released us all! :) Although, what do you miss the most, the horrible traffic or the really good customer service?

Sara said...

and we miss you!!

Anonymous said...

No, the holiness factor fell, so they felt that they needed a temple there to bring it back up to where it was before you left.
Way to go!
Dad Ray

Emily and Austin Gray said...

We had Berit here when they made the temple announcement, and we all just bawled. We cried again when we saw the press release that it would be at Broad and Spring Garden. I have to wonder if Rob Price wasn't pulling for that one!

We will definitely be there for the dedication. Erin's suggestion is great. Let's reunite the Philly Diaspora!

Emily

Tom and Tara Lyman said...

ANdrea I miss your stinkin guts! Why'd ya have to go off to Kentucky? Oh yeah, I remember, so we could get a temple here. Hahaha. Keith is funny. You better come back sometime in the next three years.

Michelle Burk said...

I heard this announcement on my radio in my car as I was driving to a soccer game. When they said Philadelphia--I clapped and cried at the same time. My kids thought I had finally lost it. What a miracle, after all the work that happened there, what a miracle that it is finally happening!! WOW!!