I had a weird moment today. Actually, they happen quite often lately. It came at the end of a busy morning full of errands. Random stuff: cleaning the car, buying new jammies for Leah, a stop at the gas station. My final stop was at the grocery store. As I got out of the car, I heard two guys in the parking lot talking.
"Bout time them fellers fix up that truck for ya."
"Oh yeah, they done real good."
That's when I had a weird moment. I LIVE IN KENTUCKY. I forget sometimes. I live a pretty sheltered life on my 2 acres on the lake. My neighbors are fantastic and so friendly but it's not like I talk to them all day long. Sometimes, I forget that I live in the sticks. And when I remember, it makes me laugh.
Here's a few recent Kentucky-isms of note:
--"She cooks good but she sure can bitch." (From the clerk at our favorite country store. Said to Keith about the previous customer.)
--"Some of my best customers are in prison now." (To Andrea from the same guy.)
--"I'm about the keel over." (Said to Keith in response to a casual 'how are you doing?' Again, same guy.)
--"I wanna bowl of chili, but I ain't gonna get none." (Once again, same guy. I have no idea how this came up while buying a soda.)
--"You may as well go ahead and vote for Obama, talkin' like that!" (Overheard by Keith. Said by an old guy to another old guy while sitting in rockers of the front porch of our other general store.)
I'm telling you, you cannot make this stuff up!!!!
Here's also a few recent Bennett-isms:
--Keith and Bennett were driving down the road near our house. Every time Bennett saw a kid toy, he would say "Hey, there's my friend's house!" He said this probably a dozen times as they drove. At the end of the road, Bennett said to Keith, "Dad, I made a lot of friends today!"
--I was vacuuming the house while Bennett was playing in his room. He did not appreciate the noise. He asked me a couple times to turn off the vacuum. Then in exasperation, "Mom, seriously! Stop!"
--Bennett was watching movies while we did some work in Keith's office. One of the office ladies asked him what was his favorite movie. After sifting though them, he pulled one out and said, "This one is really awesome."
And finally some pics from a good old redneck carnival we went to a couple of weeks ago...



Tuesday, September 09, 2008
Kentucky-isms
Posted by Andrea at 9:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
"Fellers" should be in everyone's vocab. That is such a good word. Thanks for giving me a side stitch from the laughter. Please tell me one of the guys you saw was wearing coveralls.
Layne & Jami
I bet they ain't good customers no more!
I thought Kansas was pretty good for this kind of thing, but holy cats, you are the winner. Sounds super fun.
Andrea, Lea looks just like Keith in that picture. Sure miss ya in Philly.
Kick up some dirt eh?
Tara
Post a Comment