Thursday, May 01, 2008

The rest of the story...

So in our excitement over putting our house under contract on Sunday, I left out the rest of the story. That would be the part where Keith burns the house down. I'm not kidding.

Sunday really was a crazy day. We had to wake the kids up at 5 am so we could catch our flight home from Kentucky. Then we had a showing that morning so even though our flight landed at 8:30, we couldn't go home until after 11. Then Keith went to church while I put our super tired kids to bed. They would NOT have lasted through 5 minutes of church. Then we had to pack everyone out again while our realtor showed the house again at 3:00. Then our realtor met us at the house at 4:00 to go over our offers. Whirlwind, right?

Well, at 4:00 we walk in the back door and meet our realtor in the kitchen as she tells us some details of our offers. We decide to go settle around the table in the other room to review everything. We put on a movie on for Bennett and Keith got Leah out of the carseat. He took her blanket off her and set it up on the counter and walked away. Shortly after, I was standing in the doorway of the kitchen talking to everyone in the other room. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed something strange on the counter top. A flicker.

I looked over to see Leah's blanket on top of the candle in flames. Flames nearly touching the cabinet above. I grabbed the blanket and threw it in the sink and turned the water on. The fire was out really fast and really, no damage was done. (Well, except for a favorite pink blanket of Leah's) But our hearts all skipped a beat (actually, a lot of beats) when we realized how quickly it could have gone the other way. If I had only been one step further into the dining room, I wouldn't have seen the flame. I'm sure we never would have noticed until it was too late. So so so scary!

But as it turned out, we laughed at Keith and sat down and sold our house. Then went on our merry way.


I feel so lucky (blessed!!!) that the rest of the story wasn't worse! Now that our house is sold, I am getting rid of all our yummy smelling candles. It can smell like an iguana cage in here for all I care.

Anyone want some free candles?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez- glad it's still standing and everyone is ok!! we are around all weekend so let's def. get together!

Unknown said...

congrats on selling your house! (and thank goodness you still have a house standing to sell!!)

Martha said...

So ... we really are getting together this next Sunday? (I hope, I hope!) I have a lovely "pink" blanket I've been meaning to give to Leah that can replace the burnt one! :) Can't wait to see you guys!