Friday, February 22, 2008

HELP!!!! I need advice

I'm going to REALLY start potty training. I gave it a pretty serious half-hearted effort in the fall and it was going pretty good for a while. Then I started getting really pregnant and uncomfortable (who knew I had such a big baby in there!?!) and bending over became really hard. So, I kind of gave up. Then, of course, baby came and I really gave up. But now I think it's time. I'm taking the plunge. And I'm admitting it here so my success/failure will be totally public. Wish me luck!!

So, I need your advice, blogland. Come out of lurking all you blogstalkers (yeah, all 3 of you...) and give me your best tips. What worked for you?

I have a sticker chart ready to go. It has boxes for each day and if he earns a sticker for each box, I'll have a prize box at the end of the day that he can pick something from (dollar store toys). Then if he fills up the entire chart, we are going to give him a new train for his Thomas set. Is that too much bribery??? Also, I'm not going to cave with the underwear. He'll be wearing real underwear from tomorrow morning on--and if we leave the house, I'll throw on a pull-up OVER the underwear so he can still feel the mess, but it protects everything else.

What do you think. Will it work?????

9 comments:

Adri said...

I am, admittedly and ABSOLUTELY, the world's WORST potty-trainer. So, no tips. Best of luck to ya!

Adri said...

Oh, okay...one tip. Never, ever, ever leave home without wipes, a plastic bag, and spare clothing. Ever. Until Bennett is at least 6 years old. :)

Mindy said...

Andrea, my girls were easy---a few days in panties with a few accidents, some bribery (the more the better, I think, if that's what works with your child), and we were good to go. Julia totally regressed after Cameron was born, but rebounded pretty quickly.

Cam was so much harder. After he once walked AWAY from the toilet to poop in a closet, I gave up. All I can say is, a few months later he started asking to go on the potty again, and that was that. I do think part of it for him was peer pressure, because he started preschool, and the teachers made a big deal about kids going potty by themselves. Maybe you could arrange play dates for Bennett with buddies that are already trained. It might help.

Good luck! I echo Adri's advice--ALWAYS be prepared for an accident.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm not sure about Bennett, but the underwear thing worked magic for Taryn. Of course we had accidents (we still do) but reminding them that they have to go, sitting em down on the BIG GIRL (or BOY) potty, and making them try is a good way to prevent accidents.

I agree - don't leave home without wipes, a plastic bag, and extra underwear and an outfit.

Oh yeah, and we told Taryn Santa wouldn't come unless she could go potty by herself. :)

Good Luck!! :)

Anonymous said...

I was pretty good at potty training. think I only wet my pants like maybe once at the most...sorry no kids equals no help...good luck though. B man is a champ. he'll be great with the bribe thing for sure. get lots of pez candy..
Luv Tara

Terra said...

We tried everything with Spencer. Bribes, threats, rewards and nothing worked until HE decided he was ready and then, it was just done. We didn't really have to do anything. He just did it, but before that, it was a huge exercise in frustration. Hmmmm. that is not really helpful is it?:)
But Good Luck!

Angie said...

It will work- get a book called "Potty training in a day" In our case it did not work in a day but it was a really good start.
Good luck!

The Busby Family said...

I'm going to wait for a while on that one. Let me know if you have any tips later.

Jami said...

I've heard really good things about "potty training in a day" also. Other than that I have no advice and no experience, so take good notes!