Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I love Philly

It was so great being back in Philly last week! Having spent 8 years of my life there, it was weird to be back--but at the same time, it was like putting on my favorite pair of comfortable, perfectly worn in jeans. There's just something familiar about that place that I will always love. I felt like I was home.

But I wasn't.

I drove past my old house and it felt so strange that I couldn't just park and walk in. It was also weird that the yard was perfectly manicured with ornamental grasses and all sorts of garden decor. Let's be honest, there were always more weeds than flowers when I lived there.

Keith will be glad to never set foot back in Philly. He said he felt sorry for me going back. :)

But, really there's so much to love about Philly.

The second after I got off the airplane, I had one mission: A proper hoagie. Folks, they just don't happen like this anywhere else. Sometimes you just gotta have a Wawa.


This is what I'm talking about! A hot roast beef hoagie. Forget cheesesteaks. This is where it's at. Oh. My. Goodness. Is your mouth watering? I'm dying right now wishing I had another one of these. I miss Wawa really bad right about now.


Next order of business: Rita's.


Key lime pie water ice.

But I would have given my right arm for a green apple. Or coconut cream. Help me now!

My other love: Trader Joe's.

People, if you live in a town with a TJ's and you don't go pretty much every day, you are MISSING OUT!!! Ok, slight exaggeration. Only slight, though. This is the best grocery store. And cheap, too. Since my suitcase was loaded with gifts on my way to Philly, I decided that I couldn't go home with it empty. So I filled it back up with all my favs: Salsa verde, Jo-Jo's, Maple cookies, peanut butter cups, nuts, etc. I could have brought home actual FOOD you know, but what's the fun in that when you are on vacation???

Next cool thing about Philly: History. I got to be a complete tourist this time and take my sis, Shannon, and her hubby, Dave, around downtown. The liberty bell is cool and all but I really love Independence Hall.


This is especially mind-blowing: to be in the very room where the Declaration of Independance and The Constitution were written. To see the very chair that George Washington sat in during that amazing gathering of minds. History literally was written here.


And how could you not love a town where Ben Franklin roams the streets?


Another favorite: Reading Terminal Market. Gosh, I love this place. There is SO MUCH good food in there. The chocolate dipped cookies? Are you kidding me? And the hot apple dumplings smothered in heavy cream from the Amish stand? Have MERCY!!!

There's just so much goodness at Reading Terminal, it's almost too much to take in. We ate ourselves to the gills. But Shannon and Dave's great souveniers? A quart of amish pickles, beef jerky, and black licorice. Huh???

Elfreth's Alley. Love it. So charming.


Love Park. A classic.


And topping off a day in the city, dinner at the swanky Continental (lobster mac and cheese--are you kidding me??? So good, it's unreal).

And a ridiculous amount of chocolate for dessert at Naked.



So there you have it. My ode to Philly. It was such a good time. To all my Philly friends: please enjoy some of that Philly goodness for me! Love you!

5 comments:

Martha said...

This makes me even more happy about living in Philly! Sweet! So glad you could come back. Miss you!!

Steph said...

Beautiful. And I don't think I've ever had a key lime pie water ice. Sounds amazing. My favorite is mango. Thanks for the pics. Makes me happy.

Megan said...

I cried for those poor Philadelphia residents who will no longer have a public library. How can they live???

That hoagie looks FABULOUS!

Tara White said...

love you too and miss you tons all over again... :(

hugs

Angie said...

I miss trader joes, and I want one of those ice things. Yum.