It's over!!! I'm not sure I'm meant to be a soccer mom. Our first soccer season was pretty painful. What we won't do for our kids, right? Ok, I'll admit, Bennett LOVED playing soccer. Except, there wasn't a lot of soccer actually being "played".
This pic was taken on his first game day. He was always so pumped up about going to soccer.
This pic was about 1 minute into his first game. You probably can't tell which one he is, but he is totally running after the ball. He's the one in the middle, sort of below the ref in the yellow shirt.
About 15 seconds after that pic was taken, he was running off the field in total frustration. He was crying and had the most hurt look in his eyes. "MOM!! They keep taking the ball away from me!!!" We had to pump him up and send him back into the game a LOT in the first quarter.
Finally, he figured out that "defending" the goal was a lot less frustrating.
He spent the rest of the game jumping over puddles.
He also spend a fair amount of time playing with the net. It didn't register that when he was playing in the net and the ball came to him, it was already a goal. Who cares?
At half time, the ref blew the whistle and set the ball in the center of the field. Then the kids ran off to get some snacks and a little pep talk from the coach. As he was at the sideline, Bennett looked up and realized that the ball was free! No one was there! It was all his!

I'm not quite sure, but I think he might have actually scored a goal there. During half time. 
And that was basically how the season went. But he had fun and that was the whole point. He made some new friends and he thought he was the best soccer player EVER. Bennett is such an optimist, you can't really put him down. :)
Who cares about how many games they won (2) or lost (8). The best part about the season? The trophy. He's practically been sleeping with it. I could have bought one a month ago for 3 bucks and saved a whole bunch of Saturdays.
But who can argue with that face? What a champion.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Soccer
Posted by Andrea at 9:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
That's awesome! This is so typical of a first season of soccer for these little ones. You know, my brother has four boys and to keep them out of trouble, he decided to become a soccer coach, even though he's never played soccer before. The first year, maybe even two, for all his kids were just like this. Then by their third year, all his kids became really good and they won almost every game! :) It blew me away how amazing they became, and it wasn't just my nephews, all the kids who played for those three years were that good. So, with Bennett's undying enthusiasm you never know what the next few years will bring! :) He's such a fun kid.
Love it! And I tell you, I cannot argue with that face...he is seriously way too cute!
Oh Andrea, I'm with you. Except I have THREE kids playing soccer. Including practices and games, it pretty much takes over my life (at least my Saturdays) for a few months in the spring and fall. But I do it because my kids LOVE it and it gets them moving after our long winters.
Beginner soccer is the best. We call it "swarm ball". Give it a few years and it's much more fun, if not a little tense at times! Love all the pictures! Tell Bennett that Aunt Mindy thinks his trophy is really cool...
Too cute! We decided to hold off on putting James in soccer until the fall. I am hoping that he will be old enough to not need me holding his hand during the game at that point. =) Moving made him even more shy than he was before.
Hang in there with the soccer. It gets better after they have played for a couple of seasons and actually get what they are doing.
That is so awesome. We need to put Grant in Soccer too. Maybe in the Fall. Fun to hear your updates and see your kids. Hey, check our blog...we're moving.
oh my goodness, your kid is so freakin' adorable! i loved soccer as a kid =)
Post a Comment