Happy and kind of sad at the same time.....
Keith and I came to a major decision in our lives. We are signing up for the military. Sort-of. Crazy huh? We've been throwing around the idea for a while but we really haven't told anyone about it. But we've recently been talking to a colleague that has been doing it and they absolutely rave about how cool it is and they've been recruiting us really hard. Why military? During times of war, medicine tends to make HUGE advances. Outside of war time, there aren't a lot of people getting thier legs chopped for no good reason so it becomes so much more difficult to do trials on new medical advances. But war time, sad as it is, makes medicine explode. There are tons of healthy, young people that are wounded and it makes it a perfect time to test new things. Like prosthetics.
That's where Keith comes in. He's going to be doing a special study (that's why I say sort-of military....it's for a military contractor but it's really pretty much the same thing) for three years where he'll be building prosthetic legs and feet for wounded soldiers. What a cool way to blend his surgical training with his mad woodworking skills. The only hard part is, it's probably going to be mostly in Germany. The main hospital for wounded soldiers in Iraq is in Germany and that's probably where they want Keith to be. Isn't that crazy!!! GERMANY!!! We've always wanted to live outside the US but we never really thought it would be a possibility at this point in our lives. So we are nervous and excited at the same time but we've decided that this is a super cool opportunity. We just can't pass it up.
We aren't quite sure what this might mean for our future chances in Price. We called the doc there yesterday and talked to him for quite a while. He still thinks we can make it work out somehow because, even though he really wants to retire, he still thinks he's too young to do it. So he thinks he might just keep working for a couple of years and we can see what happens. But we are keeping all our options open for now. With such a cool opportunity to research and develop prosthetics, Keith might not be all that interested in doing regular clinic care anyways. We'll see what happens. I know this seems way out of the blue because we really haven't been talking about it but this is an incredible opportunity. The pay is fantastic and--we might be in Germany! How cool is that! Ahhh!
April Fools.
Sunday, April 01, 2007
BIG news
Posted by Andrea at 8:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Very funny Andrea, I totally fell for it.
Um..you kind-of, almost got me. Ok, you did. I was freaking out. Glad that you are not moving to Germany, even though it would be pretty cool.
I am a total sucker! I believed you! How long did it take you to cook that up?
I was just going to say how awesome, blah, blah, blah. But know I don't have to.
Happy April Fool's Day instead.
We just got home from our trip and checked the blogs. I was starting to hyperventilate. Luckily, I'm a pretty fast reader and got to the bottom before passing out.
Post a Comment