I went to the doctor yesterday for my 32-week checkup. And first of all, I'm already sick of going to the doctor once a month. Now they want me to go every two weeks? Then weekly??? Oh please. I'm so over it. The baby looks healthy (thank goodness) and I feel great. I'm thinking of cancelling all the appointments and letting Keith take my blood pressure. And I'll step on the scale now and again for good measure. Geez people...I've already had two babies. Enough with being all careful. I'll just be sure to let them know when I'm in labor--how bout that? I'm spending more on the babysitter than I am to have the baby! (Yay for good insurance, but still....)
Anyway, my doctor does a thorough ultrasound at 32 weeks. Kinda fun to see the little monkey again. With my others I never got another ultrasound past 20 weeks.
The problem is....BIG baby. It measured in the 93rd percentile. A whopping 5 pounds already!!!! And I still have 8 weeks to go!
Granted, I've already had a big baby. Leah about broke the scale at 9 lbs 12 oz. But no one anticipated her being big since Bennett had been a lean 7 lbs 8 oz. I went into Leah's birth thinking I would have another skinny thing and everything would be a breeze. And then she was the biggest baby in the nursery. She never even fit into newborn clothes and I ended up giving away loads of things that ended up being too small. And even though her delivery actually turned out to be a breeze in the end, my anticipation of the event wasn't a big deal since I was expecting a pixie.
Now I have 8 weeks to freak out about delivering a toddler again.
Don't get me wrong--I can't wait to get my hands on some fat baby rolls. How can you not love cottage cheese thighs and back fat on a newborn??
It's just the anticipation of getting those chubby rolls down the old birth canal that makes me want to run and hide and pretend I'm not giving birth in 2 months.
Honestly, I've stayed very active during this pregnancy and gained a very healthy weight so far. I still go to the gym a few days a week for yoga and cycling. Is it possible to put a baby on a diet in utero???
Excuse me while I go freak out some more. But I think I might need some cookies to make me feel better....
Friday, March 26, 2010
I'm in trouble
Posted by Andrea at 2:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Here's for encouragement: My sister-in-law just gave birth to an 11 lb 8 oz. baby girl. Everything went great. And the baby is SO healthy. It amazes me how well some people do it.
My baby was in the 80th percentile at 32 weeks and I'm trying hard not to freak out that I may give birth to a 8 or 9 lb baby! James just reminded me that Andrea Card did it, so I can too!! ;) see how much you're still apart of our lives? hee, hee.
My heart goes out to you, girl. Although Leah was a doll with all her rolls, I really hope this baby isn't 11 lbs! Though, they say the bigger babies sleep better at night. We'll see if that holds true. Good luck and take deep yoga breaths to calm your mind! At least, that's what I'm trying to do.
Oh Andrea. I'd be nervous, too. Maybe the baby won't be as big as you are expecting. My sister Lydia just had her baby last weekend, and he was measuring really big throughout the pregnancy, but ended up only being in the 7's (he had a large head!). With the history of Leah being big, though...who knows?? Would your doctor induce you a little early if he/she thought you were getting too big?
As a side note, I'm with you in the chubby baby camp -- I love those yummy rolls!
Good for you for still working out! I am impressed. I ran to the bus stop to pick up Emily the other day and was hunched over with abdominal cramps for 20 minutes afterward. Maybe I'll try cycling...
Anyway, we love you and hope you continue to feel good! 2 months!
You will do so well! We'll be thinking of you and hoping this darling baby slows down on weight gain, at least a little, for your sake. I cannot wait to see pictures of this little one!
Ah-the joy of big babies! With Jamison (my #3)they actually took him 2 weeks early because he was measuring so big- and he was still 8 1/2 lbs. 2 wks. early. Can you do this? I HIGHLY recommend it- but if not, just LOTS and LOTS of drugs (unless of course you're against that). You'll be great-and chubby babies are happy babies! (at least that is what I was always told)
Andrea- you're one of the toughest chicks I know. You'll do great!
Good luck Andrea, I just love that picture of Leah and you, so adorable. I just love chubby babies too. Lincoln and Sawyer were so chubby. Isabel isn't as chubby, but she sleeps through the night so I'm not complaining. can't wait to see pictures and I hope everything goes well. I think you should have some more chocolate chip cookies.
Oh you'll be fine. Your body won't make a baby bigger than it can birth. Remember, this is what we were made to do :) You should just stay home, get a midwife and let nature take it's course. Of course, this is coming from your crazy hippie homebirthing friend ;)
Post a Comment