It didn't work out for us. It was fun while it lasted--a blast actually--but we are pulling the plug.
So long nighttime bonfires. 
Adios evening canoe rides... (sniff)
...to our secret lakeside bouldering spot...(sniff)
Farewell Diving Rock. (sniff, sniff)
Early morning yoga...mist rising from the cool water...breaking the perfect stillness with a cannonball. (sniff, sniff, SOB. Waaaaaa!)
Wow. Do I really live here? Am I dreaming? Are we nuts????
Ok, I'm over it.
Say helloooooo to our new lake.....

Lake Tahoe.
That's right peeps. The Cards are leaving Kentucky and moving to Lake Tahoe. Not a bad trade, I say.
The fact is, as much as we love our lakeside retreat and our bohemian lifestyle, Keith's job sucks. He's learned a lot in the two years we've been here, but mostly learned that it's definitely not the right fit for him and this is not the right job for the rest of his life. Lots of reasons...better told over a pile of treats and a beverage.
Keith is really excited about his new job. He'll be joining an group of orthopedic surgeons and will have a lot in common with them. It's a group of active guys with skiers, hikers, bikers and climbers among them.
So this summer we are headed West. We'll actually be living in Carson City, NV which is just "down the hill" (as locals say) from the lake. A short (and amazingly gorgeous) 20 minute drive will have us at the beach. And trust me, I plan to be there a LOT. We also plan to resurrect skiing in our lives (plans that were killed the moment we left Utah 10 years ago). Keith is already shopping for his new mountain bike and mapping out adventures to circumnavigate the Tahoe Rim Trail. And rock climbing at Lover's Leap? Oh yeah baby! 
(Keith at the summit of the Leap last summer)
We were in Lake Tahoe for a week with my family last summer and had a blast. As we were driving down the mountain on our way home, I turned to Keith and said, "You have to get a job here!"
Funny how things turn out.
If you are one of the dozens of people that had plans to come see us when we moved here...you know what they say about snoozing and losing. You better either hustle or start planning your Tahoe vacation. Although, unless we come up with a couple cool million pretty fast, I doubt we'll ever be living the lakeside dream again. Sigh...
***By the way, all the gorgeous images (except the iphone shot of Keith) are courtesy of my amazing and talented sister. I can't wait to live so close to you sis!!!
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
The End of the Bohemian Experiment
Posted by Andrea at 9:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

22 comments:
Can't wait to come visit! (although I'm bummed that we didn't get another Kentucky visit in...)
Congrats you guys!!! That is good news for Keith. Gotta have a job you love. But I am also sad that I never got a Kentucky visit in. Those pictures are out of control. And you just finished your kitchen!!!!!! Hope the move goes smoothly. We will be joining you in the West. We are finally moving back to Seattle this June. You will be perfect distance for a nice vacation. Love you guys.
Jeff and I are bummed we never got to visit you in Kentucky! Oh well, we are more than excited to visit you in Tahoe! I am so happy that Keith was able to find work out west!
Can. Not. Believe. It!
Seems like a perfect fit for you two. And, so much closer to family. I've been dreaming of a Tahoe family reunion since your pics from last year...can't wait to check out your new 'town.'
Congrats!
Dudes, I like this development. However, I have to admit that I've been really bummed about not being able to come back out to the Daniel Boone this spring. DANG IT ALL!
OMG!(you know that means oh my GOODNESS in my book!) You Card's just never stop! We're so excited for you!! Hope everything goes well! Oh yeah, and uh, that baby you're having? CANNOT WAIT!! :)
That is so great! What does Keith do? My husband is an engineer for a firm that develops orthopaedic devices, so you got my attention with the whole orthopaedic talk :)
I've never been to Tahoe, but hear it is beautiful. And so nice to be closer to family!!!!
I am sad that I never got to see your Kentucky home, it looks like a paradise. But I see a definite draw in Tahoe. So many great outdoorsy things. Better job. And so much closer to family and visitors. Very cool. You guys have a lot to be excited for right now. I'm so happy for you.
Kim--my hubby is a podiatrist. The group of docs he'll be joining specializes in hips, knees, shoulders, backs, etc. (lots of sports injuries) and Keith will do all the foot and ankle cases.
Wow!! That's exciting... darn it that we won't be able to see before you go, but one happy thought is James is applying for residency at Travis AFB, 3 hours from Carson City!! ;) Would that be fun?!! We may get to live sorta near you anyway. Good luck and I'm glad Keith isn't staying where he doesn't want to be.
remember how you guys barely finish these huge projects and then bail before you can really enjoy it? Oh, well. At least this time the paint will have dried by the time you move out! I'm happy for you guys!
I know it is great for you guys, but very sad for me and the club. First Bill and Sue...now Keith and Andrea...very, very sad!!!
Chris
I'm so glad Keith found a much better job! It sounds like a great move for you guys. I'm so glad I got to see your awesome house and swim in your lake and ride on your canoe before you move. Maybe we will be able to see you in between tours now that you will be closer to family. Come and visit us in Latvia or China next. We would love it.
At least you've got all those great lakeside pictures (and memories!) We are thrilled for your new adventure!
At least you've got all those great lakeside pictures (and memories!) We are thrilled for your new adventure!
Wow-so exciting for you guys. Is it just me or did that happen SO fast? Love Lake Tahoe- seems a perfect fit for you guys. Congrats!
Seriously? Seriously? Traitor.
Just kidding. I just feel a little betrayed or something. Like you should stick around your sad and lonely place if I have to stick around mine. :) You can make it up to me by letting me come stay with you in Tahoe. Kidding, of course. So happy for you guys!!
That is incredibly exciting! Just think- back in NYC this fall we were talking about the big changes that might be coming for our families and now we are actually doing them. Crazy. So glad that you will be Westerners again! We'll have to come visit you in Tahoe.
Congrats. I can't believe you have to leafe behind that beautiful kitchen. Perhaps Keith can unassemble the kitchen and take it with you? Good luck with the move. Please tell me it is after the baby is born!
I miss the mountains and am thus quite jealous. Am also put out that you never visited while driving cross country. CONGRATULATIONS!
SO EXCITED to have you close! (well, much much closer, anyway)
I don't even remember taking those pics of tahoe... that's funny.
Congratulations! We can't wait to visit. I must say Lake Tahoe sounds way more enticing than Kentucky. Get your guest room ready. I am a little sad that you aren't coming to Grand Junction though. Wasn't that the plan on our girls trip to get you all here?
Post a Comment