I'm mostly recovered from our most recent adventure. Mostly.

I'll pause for a moment while all you people out West have a pompous chuckle.
Then I'll tell you that the hike we did was 12 miles round trip and had an elevation gain of 4,000 feet.
I'll also tell you that this is roughly the same distance and elevation as getting to the summit of Mt. Timpanogos (11,749 feet) in Utah.
I'll also tell you that we carried the kids to the top. I carried 35 pounds on my back.
I still have a few bruises from the pack. But it was awesome!!! The kids did great (all this adventure training they are getting is paying off). The weather could not have been more perfect. And it was so incredibly beautiful. The mountain laurels and rhododendrons were blooming and the views were gorgeous. Good times.
We were on the trail at 8 am. This is our "before" shot, when we were able to bend down like that without having our legs cramp up,


I'll also tell you that we carried the kids to the top. I carried 35 pounds on my back.
I still have a few bruises from the pack. But it was awesome!!! The kids did great (all this adventure training they are getting is paying off). The weather could not have been more perfect. And it was so incredibly beautiful. The mountain laurels and rhododendrons were blooming and the views were gorgeous. Good times.We were on the trail at 8 am. This is our "before" shot, when we were able to bend down like that without having our legs cramp up,




The views were so incredible. The weather was so clear, you could see for miles on the summit. Absolutely stunning.The only problem was this view as well:
Yes, that's a parking lot. After hiking for 6 miles, straight uphill, we were joined at the summit by a bunch of people that drove to the top. And there's this too:
An awesome concrete lookout tower for all those people to get out of their cars and check out the view.Does the fact that we could have driven to the top of the peak make bagging it less cool?
All I know is my legs are burning just thinking about that climb. Leah better not gain any weight before our next adventure.... :)

10 comments:
Wow! I would so love to have your stamina and adventure-seeking bones!! :) Way-totally-cool-and-beyond-awesome! And you carried Leah THE WHOLE WAY. I can hardly believe it. Drooling from amazement.
Those peopel are totally cheaters. Only your hike counted. I'm SO impressed! I want to be cool like that someday.
You guys are hard core. I'm sure once you reached 6,000 feet you could have just gazed to the West and spotted us at home! :)
What kind of backpack do you recommend for schlepping children up the mountain? We're in the market (for Chad....I'm not silly enough to carry kids up mountains! I carry the snacks!)
Hi Andrea,
I'm not so jealous of those slacker car drivers. But I think if I had to chose, I'd want Leah or Bennett's ride to the top. You must be in awesome shape.
That is quite the accomplishment. I love reading about the Card family adventures. There are just so adventurous.
Nice post. I love that road that goes to the top of Mt. Timpanogos. That is a good road to drive to get a good view. :) Seriously though, that looks cool.
I've been missing your lake.
Layne
Looks like you guys had an awesome time! Lucky Bennett and Leah to have such wickedly cool parents! xoxo from PA!
You guys are nuts.
we hate those people.
wow, you guys are awesome! I can't believe Leah is 35 pounds! Wow!!! I thought Sawyer weighted a lot, but he is only 27 lbs. Good job and you look great Andrea!
Post a Comment