Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Aftermath of Christmas

Ahhhh, Christmas. What an awesome season. This year was no exception. We ate way too much and got way too much. Good times.

This was our first Christmas in our new home. Believe it or not, we actually tried to go to Utah this year. It's been 7 years since we spent Christmas with family (last year being a semi-exception since Keith's mom was with us to help with our brand new baby Leah). But, thanks to some serious price gouging of the airlines (at least double the normal price), it wasn't happening. So instead we spent a really relaxing day at home. We certainly missed our family and the friends that became family over the years (giving a shout out to all my Philly peeps here). I've really been treasuring the Christmas cards this year. Since moving this summer, it's been especially sweet to know how many people have touched our lives. I'm getting all sappy here, but really, I am so grateful for all the amazing people that we have been lucky enough to know and love. Big hugs to all y'all. I'm all verklempt.

So anyway, Christmas. Christmas=fun.

We really tried to keep it real and focus at least a little bit on the birth of Jesus. So, of course that means dressing the kids up silly and making them act out the scriptures. Bennett was a shepherd. Leah, an angel. Keith, narrator and photographer. Me, annoying mom making everyone dress up. It didn't really go over that well.


I tried not to overemphasize Santa this year. I don't want the kids to have such big expectations of STUFF. I don't want Christmas to be a gimme-fest. But in the days leading up to Christmas, I realized what an AMAZING guy Santa is. If Bennett was acting up, all I had to do was say "Santa only brings toys to good kids" or "lump of coal" and he would shape up so fast. He was especially afraid of the lump of coal. Haha. Is that mean? Hey, whatever works. Obviously, Bennett was a pretty good kid. Look at this haul.


The train was a HUGE hit. It's a Polar Express set. Thanks to our friends Tony and Nancy, Bennett has been obsessed with the Polar Express since they took him to see it at the theater last year. As you can see, he could have cared less about the rest of the stuff under the tree. In fact, even after opening a new present, he would usually go back to playing with the train until we made him open something else.


Is it just me, or is this face saying, "where's my STUFF?"


Ok baby sister, here's something for you too.


What would Christmas morning be without the look of a war zone? This is what they must really be referring to when people wish you "peace" at Christmas. What we really should say is, "May your Christmas have joy, but may you also be able to clean up after it."


So everyone, I hope your Christmas was full of joy and that you have (or eventually will) be able to clean up after it. I'm still working on it....

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Looks like you Cards party hard.

I don't think our Christmas morning pictures will be posted on the web, at least the ones including sickly me.

Miss you! Can't wait for next Christmas when when the Card family will grace us with their presence! Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us see your Kentucky Christmas!

Steph said...

Looks like fun. Your Christmas tree and beautiful hardwood floors look awesome. I also loved getting the Christmas cards this year. Hope you have a great New Years Eve and Day.

Meeker home said...

Sometimes being with just your family is the coziest Christmas of all. Looks like you guys partied hard. And I loved your card. That is the sweetest picture. Cute cute family.

Shannon said...

the card was cute! I remember bennett loved trains when my mom visited. Was the train the present that the present that you were super excited to give bennet?
Shelby