Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Halloween and yummy food

Ok, so Halloween pretty much rocked. I'm still reaping the rewards due to the huge bowl of candy sitting up in my cupboard. :)

First things first...here is my sweet little blue-eyed zebra.


And in other VERY important news, my apple pie was AWESOME!!! I had to document it...


Also, the aforementioned pumpkin curry soup is a keeper. Honestly, it is SOOO good. Thanks and serious props to my good friend Emily Gray for making this a Halloween tradition for us. There isn't a Halloween in recent memory that this yummy soup wasn't a part of. Since they moved this summer, I had to be the one making it this time. Get out your pens, dear readers, this recipe is calling your name....

PUMPKIN CURRY SOUP
2 small pumpkins or squash
2-3 onions
1/2 stick butter
2 (14.5 oz) cans of chicken broth
3/4 cup light cream
1/2 teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste)
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Cut open small pumpkins or squash and scrape out the seeds and goo. Pierce the pumpkins with a fork and steam them either in the microwave or the oven. (Cover with saran wrap in the microwave and cook for a few minutes or put in the oven at 350 over a 9x13 pan of water for 20 mins or so) The purpose of the steaming is only to make them soft enough to scrape the pumpkin/squash out of the skin.

2. Coursly chop onions ans saute with the butter. Add the pumpkin chunks and enough chicken broth to cover (roughly 2 cans--more or less depending on size of pumpkins). Cook until pumpkin is nice and soft (about 20 minutes).

3. Pour soup into a food processor or blender and blend until it is smooth. Add light cream and curry powder. Salt and pepper to taste.

4. If you want an extra bit of kick, add a bit of ground red pepper or garam masala (indian food spice) to taste.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!


Seriously, it felt like Halloween was about a week long with all the fun things we had happening. First we had our ward party where Bennett learned the finer art of trick-or-treating. He LOVED it. We invited our neighbor Rilynn (the giraffe). They had a blast running around together.

Bennett and Amity--too cute!!


The next day we went to the zoo for their big halloween bash. We made out like bandits with tons of loot since it was raining. We were so brave and stuck it out in spite of the weather...

Bennett and Addie with the otters.


Bennett also had a fun party with his playgroup on Monday.


Then, of course, Halloween itself. Keith and I took Bennett around the neighborhood and he was such a trooper. He just wanted to keep filling up his bag. People were handing out handfuls of candy everywhere we stopped. Sadly, towards the end, the bag got so heavy that Bennett couldn't carry it anymore. Ha! When we got home to examine the loot, Keith and I were slightly disappointed. It was totally full of chocolate. I remember when getting candy bars were the really good houses to go to. In my old hood, it took HOURS to get a bag full of candy because each house would give you ONE tootsie roll or smarties or maybe a dum-dum sucker. I would end up with piles of smarties and maybe 10 mini candy bars. That's the kind of candy I associate with halloween. People are all getting rich on us these days with nothing but candy bars. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against chocolate. In fact, chocolate and I get along very well. But, I am more of a chewy, fruity kind of girl so chocolate lasts a lot longer around my house. Don't worry, I'm working on it though. It will all be gone in good time.... :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What cute pictures. I am going to try the Pumpkin curry.

Lindsay said...

I will have to try your recipe for pumpkin curry soup. I altered my recipe for butternut squash soup to assauge my craving!

Bennett looks so adorable! Halloween is such a fun holiday.

Bummer about all the chocolate.

Adri said...

Thanks for the recipe and kudos on the pie. Sounds like a fun Halloween...with kids it turns into a week-long adventure! :)

Mindy said...

Thanks for the recipe!

Bennett is so darling. It's fun when the kids have more than one opportunity to wear their costumes.

I'll have to agree with you on the type of candy given out--my kids got almost all chocolate as well. In fact, they each got four or five FULL SIZE candy bars!?!

Can you post the recipe for the pie?

Jami said...

That zebra costume is the CUTEST!!!

Danica said...

Hey! Thanks for being our partners-in-crime on Halloween night. It was night to be with a local so we didn't feel TOTALLY dumb for having no reason to be there. :) You guys are so cute.