I have been seriously delinquent in updating this bloggedy blog. I guess you could pretty well figure out that we survived the chicken pox without permanent damage. None of the kids from his birthday party came down with anything either--serious answer to prayers on that one!!! Life has pretty much returned to normal at our casa.
Except for the ridiculously fun weekend we just had!! Keith has been training for a couple of months for a boat race, the Blackburn Challenge. It's a crazy boat marathon around Cape Ann, Massachusetts. Something like 25 miles out in the open ocean in only human powered craft. There were some wacky dudes there. The race itself is to honor a wacky dude. Some fisherman named Blackburn was out in his dory when the fog moved in and he lost his orientation back to his ship (this was way back before fishing was done with nets from the main ship). His dory mate died and Blackburn was so afraid of losing his oars overboard that he actually froze his hands to the oars--on purpose--in order to be sure that he could continue to row to land. He ended up rowing 60 miles to Gloucester, Mass and they do this race now every year starting in Gloucester to honor crazy ol' Blackburn.
Enter crazy ol' Keith... Somehow I can imagine some wacky event being named in Keith's honor. Anyway, that's beside the point.
We had a really great time even though we actually had a string of bad luck. We managed to get stuck in the worst lightening storm I have ever witnessed. When I mean stuck, I'm serious. We were cooking dinner in the campground when we heard a whooshing sound. Keith and I looked at each other and suddenly, the heavens opened up. We only had time to grab Bennett and run for cover under our tent. And there we sat for the next hour--right next to our metal tent pole--while the lightening literally danced around us. It rained at least 4 inches in that hour. It was insane!
Bad luck #2 was that the friggin race got cancelled after all. I guess crazy ol Blackburn was trying to make the 20th annual Blackburn Challenge a little too realistic. The fog turned out to be so thick that the Coast Guard pulled the plug. Obviously, we were really bummed but we made the best of it. We took a family boat ride around the bay instead.
Then bad luck #3. After our fabulous family boat ride, we were unloading the boat only to find our camera floating around in some of the water we took in. Sweet.
So, no fun pics of our family bike ride, the beautiful New England coastal towns, beaches, boat ride, crazy dudes...
Luckily, I had downloaded pics off the camera from our last family bike ride so these will have to do for now. And maybe for a pretty long time.

Honestly, could the B-man be any cuter?????
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
The Challenge
Posted by Andrea at 8:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
It sounds like it was a great time, but I am glad you are all back home safe.
I want a bike seat like that so chuck can ride me around while I eat crackers! :) So freakin' cute! luv T & C
I love that you have a tandem with a baby seat on the back. So fun. :)
Oh man, we are way jealous of the family bike. It looks so FUN!! We have a little bike seat similar to the one that Bennett is in, but Trenton HATES wearing his helmet so we don't get to use it often.
Oh poor Trenty...
Bennett gets so excited when he sees the bike. When we came home from the trip we had taken the bike off the car and left to put it away. Bennett got SO sad when he realized he wasn't getting a ride! Huge tears and everything. :( But so cute I can't stand it!
No, we don't think the B-Man could get any cuter! Maybe they could name a race after Keith for people who make their own boats. I bet there aren't many of them. Love.
Post a Comment