Friday, February 17, 2012

A kitchen disaster

I think I'm a pretty decent cook. It took me a few years to really "get it" though. Hamburger Helper used to be my best friend--a real 'homemade' meal. Company worthy too!

I really turned the page a few years ago when Keith declared a new years resolution to not cook for the entire year. I admit, he knows (knew?) his way around the kitchen pretty well. And I still harbor a little bit of resentment towards that resolution (I worked full-time and traveled a lot so cooking fabulous meals didn't really work out for me all that often) but let's leave the details for another story, shall we?

Anyway, I do love making yummy things in the kitchen. I haven't wiped store bought bread from my sandwich lineup and I don't really plan to, but there is nothing better than a batch of fresh rolls for dinner or mixing up cookies and yummy treats with my little 'helpers'. Asian food with fresh ingredients is so. much. better. than what you can usually get at a restaurant. And we all know I love me some homemade pizza.

The other day I thought I would be super mom and whip up some waffles for breakfast. Keith had left for work super early so I was just feeding my littles. In my baking drawer, I had a bag of pancake mix that I had dumped into a gallon sized ziploc bag and I figured it would be easy to whip up a batch of waffles with that.

I didn't even use a recipe. A little of this, a little of that, and wallah! waffles made with love. I was feeling like a rockstar mom.

For some reason the waffles didn't get nice and brown like they normally do. But whatever. Dump some syrup on there, the school bus won't wait! Bennett took a bite and asked for more syrup. He took another bite and said "Mom, these taste a little different".

Leah, on the other hand, just came right out and said "Mom, these are gross."

How could I screw up waffles from a mix? I can make an amazing caramel cake from scratch! I took a better look at my waffle mix and realized I had confused it with a bag of flour.

Flour plus water.....equals glue.

Paper mache pancakes anyone?

4 comments:

Meeker home said...

Awe-some. That is totally something I would do. In fact, the other week I burned Cream of Mushroom soup from a can. It really had a burnt flavor to it. That's a whole new level of ieptitude.

Adri said...

Classic!

Strollerblader said...

Yum.

:o)

Tricia Coleman said...

Glue covered with syrup! Buddy the elf would of gobbled that right up.