We had our first medical emergency this week. I have been DREADING the moment since my firstborn was placed in my arms. Although, I guess I should be happy that it took almost six years to have to rush one of my kids to the hospital. It could have been so much worse!
The kids and I were all out in the front yard enjoying a gorgeous sunny day. Bennett and Leah alternated between playing with their bikes, the scooter, and a frisbee. The baby and I were sitting on the grass in the shade. Then I heard that yucky sound....crash......cry.
I looked up to see Bennett laying on the ground next to his bike on the other end of our circle. My heart stopped. I ran as fast as I could and as he lifted himself up, felt a huge sense of relief when I noticed that all his bones seemed to be at their correct angles. Whew! Even the thought of seeing a broken bone scares the daylights out of me. It didn't look any worse than a scraped knee. I helped Bennett up (a kind neighbor also came to the rescue and walked the bike home for us) and as I did, I noticed a big drop of blood on his shoe. Odd...... As I looked up I noticed a big scrape on his chin. Eek! Once I got home, I realized that this scrape was a little bigger than my bandaid box could handle and I started rooting around in Keith's doctor bag for some gauze pads and some tape. I think I was in denial here. Moments later, my cute friend Ann showed up for our scheduled playdate. She took one look at Bennett and pretty much scooted us out the door for the hospital.
Luckily, Keith was at the hospital and was wrapping up his morning clinic. When we arrived, he had a chair ready and waiting for us. (Bypassing the waiting room is one of the benefits of having an "in" with the doc!) He cleaned up the chin and we both realized what a bad cut it was--clear to the bone. He quickly got to work and put in a few stitches. Bennett was so SO brave! Having all that work done right in your face is really intimidating. But, I was SO grateful that Keith was able to help. He was so tender and knew just what to say to calm Bennett down. Keith is absolutely my hero.
Watching a movie--
Almost done!
Obviously, not the happiest kid but so glad his dad was his doctor!
Saturday, May 28, 2011
OUCH.
Posted by Andrea at 4:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
SO brave! And this was quite the induction into stitches for you-that's a bad one. Hope you are all feeling better soon.
Oh blast, I hate those kind of things. I'm so glad it is okay and so sweet that his dad did the work. Feel better soon Bennett!
Poor boy! I hate having to take my kids to the hospital. I am glad that Keith was able to take care of it so quickly and well.
I remember Austin once getting the "in-with-the-doctor" treatment after an ill-advised dive for a water balloon. . . ! Keith is basically awesome. Sorry Bennett lost his argument with the sidewalk but cool that Keith could smooth the way for both of you.
Oh, poor Bennett! I had stitches in the EXACT same place...do you remember, Andrea? 9th grade? Soooooo embarrassing! Scars are much cooler on boys. Kisses better, B!
Poor kid! Totally dreading stitches.
Oh dear, Mason started about that age, first the chin, next the arm, then the knee...watch out, it's only just begun.
poor bennett! still no stitches, but we've had several trips to the er with close calls and concussions. the bypass would be a dream. :)
Poor Bennett! Luckily his Dad could take care of him. His chin does not look so good. We haven't had stitches yet either, hopefully not soon.
Poor guy! That is not fun!
I somehow missed this post! Poor Bennett. He seems like he handled it with bravery, and I agree that in times of sickness or injury, having an "in" at the hospital is one of the biggest perks. I'm sure he's mostly healed by now, but give Bennett a big hug from us!
Post a Comment