Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Double Three

I just had the most perfect birthday. Actually, it was an entire birthday weekend. No fancy presents or anything over the top but seriously, one for the books...

Thursday: Keith came home from work, took the kids, and kicked me out of the house for two hours. Two gloriously quiet hours. Those two hours were spent with a book (The Book Thief, if anyone is wondering), a blondie smothered in ice cream and caramel sauce, and a diet coke (you know, to cancel out the caramel sauce). It was a deliciously lovely two hours. And did I mention quiet?

When I came home, I had a blowout surprise party waiting for me, hosted by Bennett and Leah. While I was gone, Keith had taken the kids shopping and I came home to balloons and a cake decorated so beautifully with gummy worms and M&M's, complete with trick candles.
Plus, a pile of wrapped presents. Among my best gifts were a butterfinger, a bag of corn nuts, a toy airplane, and some pink bracelets and matching butterfly hair clips, all thoughtfully chosen by my sweet little ones. Is there anything better than watching the reaction of my 2-year old as I opened her gift of plastic bracelets? Sorry, there's nothing better. Except maybe Bennett's reaction to the toy airplane...

Friday: (My actual birthday) After all the obligatory duties of the day (work, school, naptime, etc.), we took the kids to the babysitter and went out on a real DATE!! Keith made the plans and I had no idea what we were in for. He told me to bring a swimming suit.

We had a yummy dinner then Keith took me to try out our local hot springs pool. It's only about a mile from our house and is naturally heated AND it has a hammer (you'll have to come visit to see what I'm talking about...). They keep the pool at about 97 degrees. Nice. They also have private spas that are at different temps. Honestly, it's not the swankiest place in town, but we had such a blast. We'll for sure be taking the kids there soon but it was so great to hang out and not have to worry about the littles. Plus, what a way to chalk up another year by soaking up the minerals of the spa. There has to be some magic to getting a legendary spa treatment ON your birthday. That's the fountain of youth, for sure.

Saturday: Keith got up early to knock off an 18 mile section of the Tahoe Rim Trail. I picked him up at 10 am and then we headed to my sister's house in San Jose. What a treat to be able to DRIVE to my sister's house in ONE afternoon!!!! My kids were about to burst with excitement to see their cousins and getting to have two sleepovers there! So fun!

While we were there, we got to leave the kids again for another date night (dinner out and a movie at the house). On Sunday we went to the beach after church to dig holes in the sand and check out the tide pools.
I also got another birthday cake that Shannon bought for me at the cutest cupcake shop ever. EVER. Really.

So now I'm double three. I definitely got spoiled.

And here's to the best party planners ever!!!

5 comments:

Steph said...

You made me crave corn nuts. I haven't had those things forever. Just that gift alone would make for a great birthday weekend. Glad you had a nice birthday!!! You are welcome in Washington anytime. haha

Linn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LADY! What a fabulous birthday and what a sweet family. You deserved every bit of it!

Lindsay said...

What an amazing birthday weekend. My favorite part was the presents Bennett and Leah picked out! Major props to Keith for making your birthday special.

Chelise said...

Happy, Happy, HAPPY Birthday! I think you deserve one more. What to go Keith!

Strollerblader said...

Glad to hear you got celebrated so well!

You'll have to check out Grover Hot Springs State Park in Markleevilee, about 45 minutes from here. I've been going there since before I was born (really). We love it there. And the drive down through Gardnerville is lovely.