Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentines Day '09

Just for the record, I'm kind of an idiot.

So, Valentines Day was very nice. I love celebrating the day of love with my super hot hubby. Lucky me!!! I made reservations for us at a nice restaurant in town. It's one of those swanky sandwich/salad cafes. As far as I can tell, it's the ONLY attempt at "swanky" in London, KY. Anyway, I was there one day getting a salad (that I could sneak into McDonald's while the kids played at the playland. If I eat at McD's one more time, I think I'll DIE) and while I was paying I noticed they had a really yummy looking Valentines Day menu. Four courses. Yum!

I was in a hurry so I took note and called a while later for reservations. Just before hanging up, I asked how much it was. $50. OK, that's more than I thought it would be, but whatever. We are worth a $50 night out once a year, right?? There was fillet mignon and halibut on the menu. Plus creme brulee and other goodness.

So on Saturday, we clean up a bit and head out for dinner. I love a night out! We showed up at the restaurant and were about the 3rd couple there. Keith was STARVING. He had been rock climbing all day while I was at a Primary activity at church with the kids. He could have eaten anything. At that moment, I think he would have preferred Chuck-A-Rama for a massive buffet. Instead, we politely smiled at each other over our candle at the table hoping they would bring out a basket of bread or something--anything. We started to notice that everyone was looking a little fancier than us. Keith was wearing a polo shirt and tan pants. I had at least changed out of my jeans and into tan pants but I was still wearing my blue running jacket. Everyone else was wearing suit coats and nice slacks.

It didn't hit me until they brought out the menu. It clearly said at the top, $50 per PERSON. Ooooooops. I thought it was $50 per COUPLE. How did I miss that little detail?? No wonder everyone was looking a little (a lot) nicer than us. So, clearly we ended up at the nicest restaurant in town on Valentines Day. I didn't know London was capable of having a $100 meal!?! That felt really special. Considering that the White Castle (a gross burger chain) was also advertising reservations for Valentines, I think we could have saved a few bucks elsewhere. But the food was REALLY good. The only problem was that it took us 2.5 hours to get outta there. By the time dinner was over, Keith was hungry again.

Note to self: Next year, find a buffet. Or, just read the sign on the door. OR, let Keith plan Valentines Day and end up at the White Castle....

9 comments:

Linn said...

Oh man I love you. You make me laugh so hard! That was just awesome.

Lindsay said...

Love it! I have a great mental picture. Hope it was worth the $100! :)

Michelle Burk said...

It's a great story--one of those "remember whens" you'll retell year after year.

Steph said...

Funny, you mention White Castle. I was flying home on Valentine's Day and this guy I met explained how he loved going to White Castle on Valentine's Day. He said it was great. I came away thinking the guy was loonie. Guess you will have to try it out.

Chelise said...

Last year we pulled a similar money mistake-good food, but $100-really?! At least a good memory-and all for a little romance in our marriage. Wow. Guess where we ended up this year? Subway with 4 kids in tow.

Kim said...

i drove by your old house last week and it's for sale- weird!

Angie said...

We spring for one of those every once in a while and I must say that while I sometimes feel guilty, I never regret it. Hope you had fun.

Martha said...

Wow! That is a lot! At least it tasted good. That always helps. :) James would have been hungry too... those fancy restaurants aren't always that great for big eaters!

yamsey said...

I am glad it was you and not me. If I had taken John out for something like that he would have left as soon as he realized the price and I would be on probabtion for date planning! =0 Good think Keith is so easy going even when he is hungry.