Sunday, September 23, 2007

Home Sweet Home...for now

I've never missed my messy house so much in my life. We had SUCH a great couple of weeks (minus the flying part) but it's so great to have my own pillow back. There is just nothing like your own pillow. Truly.

The interviews are now all behind us. We have enough info to make this HUGE decision that now faces us. Where are we going to live for the rest of our lives?? What a freaky thing to just pick a spot on the map and plan to stay until we at least have sagging wrinkles and grown children. Yes, we could move if we really hate it. But Keith puts it this way: 'You want to pick the right job the first time. It's like getting married. You are far more likely to find someone cool the first time around than you are after you've messed up once'. I'm glad he puts me in the "someone cool" category. : )

Here's an overview of where we've been in the last couple weeks. Where would you vote that we live????

CENTRALIA, WASHINGTON
We started out in Washington in a town called Centralia. We were actually staying in the home of the doctor who will be retiring next year. Keith would be essentially taking his place and joining as an associate with another guy that has been there for 5 years. I was afraid that staying in the home of the person we were interviewing with would be awkward but it really wasn't. They treated us so well and they loved Bennett. They are great cooks and one night invited all the "young" docs from the hospital over for a BBQ. We had salmon grilled on cedar planks. YUM! They also gave us their very nice car for the week so we were able to get out and enjoy the Washington weather and scenery. This town is in a very cool location. We actually had a sweet view of Mt. Ranier from the deck of the docs house where we were staying. A drive an hour in any direction will get you somewhere cool--East is Mt. Ranier, North is Seattle, West is the ocean, South is Portland. How much better can it get?!?

Bennett got comfortable very quickly once he saw the "big one bike". He didn't even mind the pink helmet!



We spent Labor Day (my birthday!!!) by driving to Mt. Ranier Nat'l Park. It was an amazingly beautiful day.



We had a very nice hike that afternoon.



Then we had to chill at the lake for a while while Bennett enjoyed his FAVORITE activity of throwing rocks in the water. He could stay around a lake with a pile of rocks for hours....


The doc is a pilot and offered to take us out in his plane to see the mountains one day. We jumped at the chance--it was so beautiful!

A view of Mount St. Helens:

Mt. Ranier from above:



EUREKA, CALIFORNIA
Less than a week after being in Washington, we flew west again to Eureka, CA. It was a long series of flights to get there but Bennett actually did amazing this time around. I guess he's becoming an old pro.

The job would be a buy-out of a guy that operates in 2 towns. He is in Eureka 1-2 days a week, then down the road about 30 miles the rest of the time. He is getting older and wants to retire in 5-ish years so he is selling his Eureka practice in order to slow down and focus on his other office (in the town he lives in). This would be a real comittment since we would have to get a business loan to buy the guy out then start out pretty cold in a new town. But Keith would be his own boss from day one, which is appealing to us--but still pretty scary at the same time.

Eureka is a cool town. Literally. The average temp in Eureka is in the 60's--practically year round. The temp will vary some from winter to summer but really not by much. Pretty much it's rainy season, or not. The weather was so amazing every day we were there. We were expecting rain and fog at least a little bit but we had clear skies the entire time.

The town is very funky and has a artsy sort of influence. Lots of used book shops and cafes. We found one cafe that we kept going back to...best desserts ever!!! Brownie delight, chocolate dipped cheesecakes on a stick, huge cookies, ice cream...I'm putting on weight just thinking about it!


The town is literally right on the water, although there is a bay, then two little strips of land, then the ocean. Keith loves the idea of rowing in the bay every morning. The bay and harbor is literally five minutes from the hospital.


Then a quick 2 minute drive out to the ocean...with a chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick, of course...


But at the same time, you have towering redwood trees all around you. It took me about 40 minutes to drive to the start of Redwood Nat'l Park. This is a shot of the local park--just a couple of blocks from the hospital. HUGE trees--the pic doesn't begin to do it justice.


Would a week in California be complete without a day at the beach?



SOMERSET, KENTUCKY
I had a lot of reservations about Kentucky. I've never been there...but I've joked about it's redneck reputation more than once. But, I have to say, Kentucky proved me wrong. I actually didn't see a lot of redneck influence. There is WAY more white trash in rural Utah than what I saw in Kentucky. There is, however, a LOT of southern drawl going on. If we live there, I'm terrified that my kids will talk southern!

This job is another where Keith would be joining as an associate. No risk--guaranteed pay, partnership after 2 years. In all honesty...the best job opportunity BY FAR. Great pay, very low cost of living. This choice is not going to be easy!

It was a little hotter than what I like in mid-September but the winters are supposed to be really nice and mild. Plus, world class rock climbing is an hour away (Red River Gorge). There are also some big lakes and Somerset is known as a resort town for boaters. Lake Cumberland is a huge man-made lake surrounded by big rock cliffs (like Lake Powell) and is supposedly the houseboating capital of the world. Wahoo.

Anyway, despite being surrounded by snobby houseboat lovers, we had a great time. We went to Cumberland Falls--about a 30 minute drive from where we would live.



And of course, more time spent doing Bennett's favorite activity....


If we take this job, we would probably live in Corbin, a town about 45 minutes east of Somerset. There is a different big lake there named Laurel Lake. This little state park and boat dock is about 5 minutes from where the church is in Corbin. We could totally have a house on the lake in this town.



We loved visiting all these places and will have such a tough time deciding what to do! Also, I should mention that we still have Price, UT on the table as an option. We've been talking to the doc there forever about buying his practice. There is still a lot to work out on that one, despite the fact that we've been pushing on him for almost 2 years. Anyways, in fairness, here is a pic I found on the internet of Price......



So, there you have it....this is what we've narrowed our job search down to. Mind you, there is still a lot out there. While we were away this past week we got 4 calls from people who wanted to talk to Keith about job opportunities. We're probably not going to add much to the list for now though.

If you were us, WHERE WOULD YOU CHOSE TO LIVE????

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I could do is cry for you in making the choice you have to make. It doesn't matter where you live you will always be so good in helping those around you to live the Gospel. It was so good to see the pictures. What a great family. love, Louise

Anonymous said...

Just remember, "Be it ever so humble there's no place like home." You two are so awesome that where ever home is will be really neat. I vote to let you decide, and we will support you and visit when we can.
Love, Dad

Jeff said...

Sounds like Kentucky is an awesome job opportunity! I vote for Kentucky. Unless you are vehemently opposed to southern drawl- then I would choose Washington.

Jami said...

If it were me, Eureka. Plus, I can see Keith rowing every morning. :)

Anonymous said...

I would love to visit the Red. If you guys lived there, it would be a great excuse to go there finally. On the other hand, I love California--The weather, the surf; everything except for the 1500 square foot 60 year old houses that people sell for $800k. That makes Kentucky seem even more attractive. Washington state seems like it has alot of promise. Bennett could grow up climbing the volcanos us there, and doing weekend trips to work To bolt or not to be at Smith. Hmm. To me it really sounds like you can't strike out wherever you go. That is a good place to be in. I'm partial to the west though. Good luck deciding.

Anonymous said...

I vote washington as opposed to west chester pa..ha. don't leave! or maybe Kentucky...California is expensive and the taxes stink. Plus nurses make way too much money to hire any good ones. I work for pennies by the way. wink wink. Glad you're home - now come over and hang out..

Sara said...

Oh, beautiful! You guys are so lucky- what amazing choices! But if I were you, I would probably stay in PA- it's not like you're ready for a change or anything...

Dani said...

Either WA for the view or Eureka for the "dry" air. (it's dry there...right?) KY is amazing, but I think the humidity would sufficate me.

Adri said...

Such great pics, Andrea. At least you know with these choices you'll have lots of outdoor fun (Card style, I'm sure!) I don't envy your decision...so hard. If you're going to have an airplane (like the doc in WA) or a houseboat (on Lake Cumberland) or an ocean view (in CA), we'll probably have to come visit! :) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I vote for laps on Raineer with Keith! BUT I don't get to vote, they all seem like great choices plus you know me, lots of jokes to be aimed your way if you pick KEEENTUKEEEEE!!

Can't help it, sorry sis:)
-Mike

Anonymous said...

Out this way. WA or Eureka. You choose. But Kentucky? Too far to drive. That makes it a no for me. :)