Who/what/where is Bizz Johnson? So glad you asked.
It starts here:
Home of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Big Blue Ox. The real deal.
The Bizz Johnson trail is an unfortunate name for an absolutely fantastic rail trail near Susanville, CA (a quick two hour jaunt from our casa). Someone had given Keith the lowdown on it and we decided to try it out for ourselves last weekend. We've done a couple of rail trails and we LOVE them. Since they are old rail beds converted to hiking/biking trails, they are nice and wide with a max 3% grade and when you get a good trail starting in the mountains, they are pretty much downhill the whole way. Beyond cool.
This trail is slightly less traveled than others we have done where you can hire a shuttle to take you to the top and you ride to your car. In this case, we found that a city bus would get us pretty close and for $6 in bus fare, ended up working out perfectly. We got dropped off at a gas station across the street from Paul and Babe and rode a couple miles of pavement to get us to the start of the trail. Bennett rode his own bike and we pulled the two littles in the trailer.
The trail is about 27 miles and we enjoyed every minute of it. And here's the awesomest part--my little six year old Bennett rode all 27 miles by himself! My knees were feeling a little creaky the next day and it didn't phase him one bit. What a champ!
Then we turned onto the dirt and into the trees. The fall colors were AMAZING. 
We crossed a ton of bridges and went through a couple of dark tunnels.




It was an absolutely perfect day.
Sunday, October 30, 2011
Bizz Johnson
Posted by Andrea at 11:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Holy Stinkin' Lewis, you are raising superheroes! I don't like to DRIVE 27 miles and your six-year old awesome man biked it?! I want to be a part of your family. I might be athletic and be able to ride a bike with wobbling or falling down (and I don't mean when I was a young child). I am so impressed!
You guys are soooo much cooler than us.
FUN!! I want to go there. Let's plan a trip?
Post a Comment