Look, I know school started a month ago. Don't judge. This post involves a little more typing than I've had time for lately.
First Grade! How did we get here? I hate sending my big boy Bennett to school ALL DAY. :( But he loves it so I guess I'll let him keep going.
This summer has been so busy. For one, we moved (minor detail), so that is one reason the blog stayed quiet this summer. We just moved from the north end of Carson to the south end. But moving is moving and it stinks no matter how far you go. But we are now so close to Keith's office that he can walk to work. Sweet!
Anyway, we moved during the last week of July and took a couple of days to settle in. We then had to register Bennett for his new school. The day after had that taken care of, the kids and I went to Utah for nearly two weeks to enjoy some family and cousin time. (So fun!) We were really going to squeeze every last bit of fun out of summer so we had it planned down to the wire. The day after I came home from Utah, our little family went on a four-day camping trip (more on that later) and came home only the night before school started. Crazy? That's just how we like it.
Anyway, they posted the class lists while we were in Utah so I had Keith go to the school to find out who Bennett's teacher was. I was hoping I would have time somewhere between vacations to take Bennett to his new class and figure out where to go. Well....the fact is, that never fit in.
Plus, since we moved so close to Keith's office, we decided we could do without the caddy (moment of silence). However, on the first day of school, Keith had to take the car so I couldn't take him to school then either.
So, as if you needed any more evidence of my lame parenting skillz (hello, baby drinking coke straight up), I sent him off to his NEW school all alone. The school where we didn't know a single person. He had no idea where his class was or what his teacher looked like and not a buddy to show him either. I sent him off on the bus and told him to go into the office (he had at least gone there with me when I registered him) and ask them where Mrs. Pendleton's class was. SCARY, right?
Thing is, he didn't mind one bit. He wasn't a bit nervous and wasn't at all bothered by the fact that he was walking into a building full of strangers and had no idea where to go. How's that for brave? I'm sure I would have peed my pants and hid under a seat on the school bus the entire day if that had been me. Thankfully my mom was a far better mom than I am so that never happened. She might not have ever brushed my hair but my mom never let me go to a strange place without at least a proper introduction. (Love ya mom! The snarls have all grown out so it's all good!)
See, not an ounce of nervousness. Even a wink to make me feel better.



Off he goes. (sniff, sniff) At least he still gives me hugs and kisses before he leaves. When he grows out of that, I'll really be a crying mess.
Thursday, September 15, 2011
First Day of 1st Grade
Posted by Andrea at 5:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You are a fabulous mom and seriously have the best, most well-adjusted kids ever! Honestly, that is awesome that he just did what he needed to do on his own, especially in first grade. We could all learn that lesson, especially this 34-year old wimp.
Way to go big boy Bennett! You're just teaching him independence, that's all. :)
It is proof that you are an awesome mom that Bennett did so fabulous! Your kids are so big and so very cute!
Post a Comment