"I will go, I will do
The things the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way
He wants me to obey."
Nephi's Courage, LDS Children's Songbook #120
We had big plans for Thanksgiving. For days the kids had been counting down to our visit to my sister Shannon's house in San Jose, a 4 hour drive away. They were completely beside themselves in anticipation. I, on the other hand, was probably just as excited, without all the jumping up and down. Shannon and I had spent several phone calls ironing out the details of our Thanksgiving feast. Which recipes, best turkey cooking method, narrowing down our long list of pies, and double checking our shopping list.
We were planning the feast of all feasts.
Not only that, we had big plans for the rest of the holiday weekend. In addition to our cooking frenzy, we had considered black Friday shopping, running a 10k, taking the kids to the zoo, and leaving the kids with my oldest niece and having a date night(!!!!). Keith had also planned a 30 mile trail run that was to be the highlight of his week.
We spent all morning on Wednesday packing and loading up the car. Keith had worked out his schedule so that he was done at noon. Since his office is on the south end of town and close to the road we were using to get outta dodge, I drove to his office and picked him up then left the caddy in the parking lot. We couldn't wait to be on the road!! We spent just a few minutes putting gas in the car, then stopping at the nearest fast food joint so we could eat and run. Woot! Let the fun begin!!!
We were just getting our bag of tacos handed to us from the drive-thru window when the phone rang.
It was the hospital.
Can you hear the disappointment?
Since we were still technically in town (even though we were literally 1 minute away from driving 65 mph out of town) Keith took the call. He told them he would be there right away.
So we went back to his office, picked up the other car and drove back home. Boo.
As I followed Keith home in the caddy, I hoped that the patient had a minor issue that could still get us on the road in an hour or so. I should know better. That has NEVER happened!!!
Keith, on the other hand, already knew that this was putting a big hole in the weekend plans. He knew he was going to have to do surgery, which would also mean that he needed to round on the patient daily until they were discharged. He wasn't leaving town. This certainly wouldn't be the first holiday he's spent working and he came to terms with that reality years ago.
As he drove home, he explained to Bennett and Leah that he needed to go take care of a sick person and that they were going to have to go to Aunt Shannon's without him.
When we pulled into the driveway at home, Keith immediately insisted that I get on the road so that I could drive over the Sierra's before dark. I refused. There was NO WAY I was leaving him for Thanksgiving. Besides, he hadn't even seen the patient yet. Maybe the person wasn't that bad, I reasoned. Maybe the person could wait until we got back for surgery. (Four days?? Yeah right. Get a friggin clue, Andrea.)
With me refusing to leave town without him, Keith left for the hospital. I sat home with the kids and waited anxiously for a phone call (saying, of course, that Keith had magically fixed the person in a record 15 minutes and we were free to go anytime).
Meanwhile, the kids were still ready to get outta town. They had cousins to see! Toys to play with! Fun to be had!!! They didn't care who was or wasn't coming and couldn't figure out why I was still sitting on the couch.
"Mom! Let's go!!! Dad told us we have to go without him!" complained Bennett
"I'm not going without your Dad. Sorry guys. We have to wait until he calls us."
"But moooom! He said we have to go without him!"
"Bennett, we might not be able to go. We can't leave Dad home alone for Thankgiving. He would be so sad."
"Mom. Dad said we have to go. And I will go, I will do the things my father commands!"
Well, at least we know our Family Home Evening lesson had an impact.....
Fast forward...the phone call came. Keith was taking the patient to surgery. He insisted we go to Shannon's without him and not crush the kids excitement of spending time with cousins.
We did go. We had fun. We cooked and ate lots. The kids played and loved every minute of it.
Keith spent a (or should I say another) lonely Thanksgiving at the hospital. But he did manage to get a turkey dinner.
The Nugget Casino. $9.99.
Ahhhh.....Nevada. :)
Sunday, November 28, 2010
I will go, I will do
Posted by Andrea at 11:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Boo! Glad some of you had fun anyway.
What a bummer...the life of a surgeon! I am glad you could still go even though I feel really sorry for Keith. And your Bennett is too funny!
Blast, I was reading this thinking, "It has to end differently. It has to." It didn't. *Sigh*
And Bennett makes me laugh hard. I'm jealous you get him at your house all of the time.
Oh the life of a doctor! Sorry, Keith. :(
I was SO hoping for a different ending! You're such good sports. Glad you had some fun despite.
Sorry it wasn't the weekend you had planned, but am always happy to hear that other people's kids use the things they are taught (by their parents) *against* their parents, too! I get in trouble with that a lot ("Mommy mommy mommymommymommy
MOMMYMOMMYMOMMY *M.O.M.M.Y*!!" Me (finally, after trying to have one complete uninterrupted thought): "Yes, sweetie?" 3y.o. "You SAID we hafta talk to someone when they talk to us." Oh, was i ignoring you? Rude mommy. ;o)
So sad. I swear things never turn out as we plan them. I'm glad you decided to go anyway.
So sorry you had to go without poor Keith. I'm sure you had tons of fun with Shannon. I totally wish we were closer, I would love to hang out.
I will go, I will do--L-O-V-E that answer. How can you argue with such a righteous little Nephite? Keith better be careful what he commands from now on.
Post a Comment